Sopranos Tokyo


I was home on Monday at about 11:30am when the doorbell rang. I answer it and there are 5 police officers standing there. They say to me, "Maaahdaah, peestol." So, after a few seconds it dawned on me that someone was murdered with a pistol. They went on to tell me that the murder occurred at the corner of our street at 10 AM. I'm so glad I was watching the Super Bowl and not out and about running errands. Who shoots someone in broad daylight? Isn't Japan suppose to be safe? Anyway, I'm digressing here. The officers were trying to secure the video camera on our building to see if it caught any evidence. They took my name and address. On a positive note, I met Lisa, my neighbor next store. She, her husband and three children were living in Winchester, MA before moving here. Such a small world.

I went out at about 1:30 to run some errands and there are about 30 officers outside. My street is completely cordoned off, I'm talking yellow police tape at either end of the street. Also, there are camera crews all set up behind the yellow tape filming all of this. A police officer literally escorted me to the end of my block.

I came back home and the commotion is over. All officers are gone and there are just a few camera crews left on the block. I was really worried because I had no idea why someone was shot and was wondering if the killer was crouching under one of my windows. Also, Chris had just left for Hong Kong and I wasn't at all happy about staying on my own knowing there was a fugitive out there.

I tuned into the news that night to see if I could get some information. Well, it turns out that it was all Yakuza (Japan mafia) related. Well, there are a few different rivals and they are having some turf battles. I guess one of the groups recently opened an office in our neighborhood. On a side note, does anyone mind sending me a bullet proof vest or two? I'll put it on when I run errands in my hood. I felt a little bit better knowing that the event was targeted and not just some random act but it's all still a bit scary.
-